Wednesday 6 March 2013

Queso Dip

My mom makes a queso dip that is extremely easy--cooked ground beef, Rotel tomatoes and cream cheese.  It's soooo good, but I wanted to develop my own version that's a little healthier and a little more sophisticated. Yes, I realize there is NOTHING sophisticated about creamy cheese dip with tortilla chips, but I try, oh, I try.

Anyways, my dip was inspired by this version (he used chorizo, guys! SO sophisticated). It was a little lighter than my mom's (the cooking creme I used has about half the fat/calories of cream cheese) and at least comparably delicious. P.S. Ruby, I totally made up the name of this dip by myself, with the help of Google Translate. Spanish pro up in hurr.

Queso salsa con carne

1 lb. ground turkey
2 Tbsp. butter
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 large onion
1 roma tomato
1 jalapeno, seeded
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup tequila
1 pkg. Santa Fe Philadelphia Cooking Creme**
2 cups Mexican cheese

**This stuff was on sale and I wanted to sample it. It was pretty dang delicious, but bottom line is it's processed crap, with maltodextrin, a form of MSG, corn syrup and sugar in it. Next time, I will make my own version to keep this dip as unprocessed as possible. So, what can you substitute for the creme? I would pick sour cream, plain Greek yogurt or creme fraiche (you'll need 1 1/4 cups). Then, add some Mexican flavor--onions, jalapenos, chipotle peppers, cilantro, cumin, taco sauce, even salsa. You can easily achieve the same effect without the processed crap.

1. Put the turkey, butter and spices in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Fry for 7-8 minutes.

Mmmm raw turkey.
2. In the meantime, chop the onion, tomato, jalapeno and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Add to turkey and cook for 4-5 minutes.
Fresh veggies
3. Once the turkey is almost cooked through, add the tequila and turn the heat up to high. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until it doesn't smell like alcohol anymore!
4. Turn the heat down to low. Stir in the cooking creme and cheese, cook slowly until everything is melted together.

Real cheese!



No comments:

Post a Comment