Sunday 16 October 2011

Applesauce Chocolate Chip Cookies and Strawberry Bruschetta

Applesauce Chocolate Chip Cookies

I didn't have any butter! But I wanted cookies. My roommate had margarine but I'm all anti-processed shizzle, so I did a little Googling and decided to substitute applesauce! The result was a DELICIOUS but cakey cookie that tastes a lot lighter than regular chocolate chip cookies. Plus they are healthier! AND my roommate took pictures of them! Awesome. My first picture of my own food on my blog!

A note on the applesauce: My roommate made mine from fresh apples, which were boiled until soft and then pureed. I would recommend if you use sweetened applesauce to cut down on the sugar in the recipe somewhat.

Modified from allrecipes.com.

 2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon almond or vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

1) Preheat oven--325 F.
2) Mix together all dry ingredients (excluding chocolate chips).
3) Mix together all wet ingredients, using an electric beater if you have one.
4) Stir the two together. At this point, I needed to add a little more flour to make them a more "normal" cookie consistency, I think the texture was off because of the applesauce. After it seems a good consistency, add the chocolate chips.
5) Drop cookie dough with a tablespoon onto a greased cookie sheet.
6) Bake 15-17 minutes or until golden brown.

Strawberry Basil Bruschetta

There is some dispute on how to make this! I will give both versions, because they are both the same basic concept and both are delicious.

1 baguette
sliced strawberries
1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
ricotta cheese

for the sweeter version:
1 T. brown sugar
a dash of vanilla
basil

-Slice baguette thinly and bake until toasted.
-While its toasting, prepare a balsamic reduction. Cook balsamic vinegar over low heat (add the vanilla and sugar if you wish) until it thickens (about 7 minutes.).
-Spread ricotta cheese onto slices of baguette.
-Spread sliced strawberries onto the baguette slices. Alternatively, you can add the strawberries to the balsamic reduction when it is almost finished.
-If you are using basil, layer on top of the strawberries.
-Drizzle with balsamic reduction.

Yummy, yummy, yummy. Both versions of this are delicious! Try to eat it right immediately or it will get mushy.

Recipe is a collaboration of my mama and I!

No comments:

Post a Comment