Sunday 16 September 2012

Thai salad for normal people




So, this is basically an idiot's guide to Thai food. Most Thai recipes call for weird ingredients that I had to beg my grocery man to help me find: jicama, "spiralized" veggies, yellow beets, sesame oil, sambal oelek, tamari, goji berries...not my normal fare. Sure, if you have it, maybe the food tastes more "gourmet" or something, but I modified this salad to include ingredients I have in my pantry. Therefore, if you are not a Thai foodie and don't have tamari and rice vinegar lying around, you're in luck! It's just as good with soy sauce and white vinegar! Also, don't you hate when recipes call for "organic" stuff? I think that's insane. So, just a disclaimer--if you want to use any organic ingredients, you can, but I'm not going to tell you to.

Enjoy.

EASY THAI SALAD

Salad
2 cups egg noodles, cooked (whole wheat spaghetti noodles would work)
2 cups Napa cabbage, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, shredded
1/4 cup cucumber, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
3/4 cup peanuts
1 egg

Dressing
3 cloves garlic
fresh ginger, chopped
2 Tbsp. cilantro
2 Tbsp. unsweetened peanut butter
3 Tbsp. lime juice
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. white vinegar
2 tsp. coconut milk (I DID buy a whole can of coconut milk for this, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it would be fine without it)
1.5 tsp. white sugar
1 tsp. hot sauce (I use sriracha aka rooster sauce)
6 Tbsp. light oil (really light tasting olive or canola would work)

1. Mix all the salad ingredients together, except for the egg.
2. Fry egg with salt&pepa and place on top of the salad.
3. Food process all the dressing ingredients; I kept mine a little chunky which was yummy.
4. Drizzle the dressing over the salad to taste.

SEE. That's it. So painless. I would recommend buying Sriracha sauce--I use it so much and I love the flavor. Other than that, I'm assuming most people have these ingredients in their pantry. I never did like jicama much anyways...

I added the egg for protein, but you could add chicken or more peanuts, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment