Tuesday 22 April 2014

Recent cooking adventures

I had to do a quick post because I've made so many yummy things recently that I don't want to forget!

Spaghetti Chitarra with Pine Nuts and Bacon: Really good, really quick and really easy. I omitted parsley and the bread crumbs and used far less bacon (just four slices). I also toasted the pine nuts and added them at the end instead of adding them to the sauce. This will be a go-to weeknight dinner for us.

Poblano Mac and Cheese from Rachael Ray: I borrowed a Rachael Ray book from the library and tried a bunch of new recipes. This one was really, really yummy! I omitted the corn and substituted roasted asparagus, and my regular grocery store doesn't carry manchego so I used my favorite Irish cheddar instead.

Pakistani Chickpea Pulao with Sweet Hot Date-Onion Chutney: This was soooooo gooooood, but a lot of work. I used ground cardamom and cinnamon instead of the whole pieces the recipe calls for, and I couldn't find Thai chilies so I used whatever dried chilies I found at our local co-op. I think they were dried chipotle peppers.

Black Bean and Quinoa Enchilada Bake: Not the prettiest dish, but this was nummy. It's also a perfect clean-out-the-fridge dish. You could use almost anything in it. I made this enchilada sauce for it.

Chianti Burgers with Caramelized Onions: This is the perfect dish if you want to impress somebody, and it tastes so fucking good. I'm hungry now just thinking about it. I omitted sage, substituted Parmesan for pecorino and served the burgers on ciabatta bread. The homemade ketchup is essential.

Asian Lemon Chicken Tenders: This is the first time I made fried chicken strips, and they turned out great. I know I substituted a couple things in the sauce recipe (I think orange instead of pineapple juice and white instead of apple cider vinegar), and I would recommend making like a half serving of the glaze. The recipe made way more than I needed. I also used it as a dipping sauce instead of coating all the strips in it.

Asian Lemon Chicken Tenders
Finally, two recipes that were totally meh: Corn Roasted Walleye and Creamy Tomato and Spinach Pasta. Both were edible (I didn't throw them out and order pizza) but I wouldn't make either again.

No comments:

Post a Comment