Thursday 27 March 2014

Tempeh enchiladas

I've mentioned before that I'm experimenting with different meat substitutes. I think I found my favorite one yet! I cooked with tempeh for the first time this week, and loved it. The texture is so much better than tofu, it actually has some flavor since it's fermented. The nutritional profile isn't as great as seitan, but let's be real, my favorite sauce is made almost exclusively from butter so ... nutritional profile, shmutritional profile.

Anyways, I turned that tempeh into freaking delicious enchiladas, with inspiration from this recipe. It's a real winner. I tried it when my husband was out of town because he's not a fan of non-meat protein, but I would not hesitate to make this for him. You don't miss the meat one bit.

TEMPEH ENCHILADAS
Serves: 3-4
Preparation: 45 minutes

2 Tbsp. butter
1/4 c. white onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 package tempeh
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 c. frozen corn
2 c. enchilada sauce (here's a great homemade recipe)
8 small corn tortillas
1/2 c. feta cheese
1/2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
Salsa and guacamole, for serving




1. Preheat the oven to 350.

2. Start by preparing the corn tortillas. Heat individually in a dry frying pan over medium heat until warm, about 30 seconds per side. Cover to keep warm and set aside.
3. Heat the butter in a frying pan over medium heat until melted. Add the onion and fry until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and fry for another 2-3 minutes before adding the tempeh.
4. Saute the tempeh for 2-3 minutes before adding the spices. Mix well and add the frozen corn and 1/4 c. enchilada sauce. Cook until corn is warmed through and tempeh is done, about 8 minutes. Stir in 1 Tbsp. of each of the cheeses. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. To assemble the enchiladas, spoon about 1/4 c. of the tempeh mixture into each tortilla. Roll and place seam side down in an 8x8 inch pan. Cover with remaining cheese and enchilada sauce.
6. Bake until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 10-15 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment