Wednesday 28 September 2011

Oh. My. God. Tofu.

I always thought tofu was too hippie-ish for me and that it would taste awful. Then, a friend made it for dinner in Holland and I fell in love with the sauce she made. That's the thing about tofu--it is basically just a nice filler with a lot of protein that will suck up the tastes of whatever else you cook with it. Tonight, I made some sort of stir fry with tofu and broccoli I had that was about to go bad.

This was the sauce, courtesy of www.gourmet.com (with some changes due to priciness...I refuse to buy an $8 bottle of sesame oil for one recipe!)

Spicy Garlic Sauce

2 cloves of garlic
fresh hot peppers to taste
green onions (I used about 3 Tbsp but it really doesn't matter; it just makes it look prettier)
toasted sesame seeds (I got a tiny bit in bulk from the co-op and then fried them in a dry pan over medium heat for about five minutes...this is NOT something you should skip! They add so much flavor!)
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp canola oil
a dash of sugar

Start with finely chopping the garlic and peppers together, and then add everything else. I know this is extremely high in sodium and I would love to figure out a way to cut that, but it's TOTALLY WORTH IT for a treat once in awhile.

To complete this meal, I pan-fried tofu and blanched broccoli, and put it all over a half cup of brown rice. I am officially obsessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment