My boyfriend's dad is basically a locavore and tries to cook with seasonal food. He has made us this AMAZING Sheperd's Pie twice and I absolutely had to get the recipe. He kindly translated it from Dutch and sent it to me! It is more of a fall or winter meal, but good any time of the year, just cuz it's sooo delicious! I haven't tried to make it yet but I will soon...
AD'S SHEPERD'S PIE
1 kg mashed potato with 150 gram grated cheese in it
500 gram lamb meat (shepherd) / beef meat (cottage), cut fine
2 onions and garlic, as much as you prefer, chopped
1 kg mixed vegetables (leek, carrot, celery and white cabbage, all chopped); steamed or cooked
250 gram mushrooms, in slices
thyme, pepper, salt, 2 spoons of (sharp) mustard and Worcestershire sauce
Method of preparation
1. Heat oil in the frying pan; fry the meat with the onions and garlic during 10 minutes.
2. Add the herbs/spices.
3. Add the vegetables and mix them with the meat and herbs/spices.
4. Grease a casserole pan with sunflower oil.
5. Put the vegetables and meat in the casserole and on the top the mashed potatoes
6. Put the casserole in the center of the oven, at 220 degree Celsius (430 fahrenheit), for 20-30 minutes; the mashed potatoes should color slightly brown.
You should definitely use really really spicy mustard. I would even venture to recommend a little bit of horseradish, because when Ad makes it, it has this very definite kick to it. SO GOOD.
Next time, more summer-y recipes...guacamole and margaritas!!