At an Italian restaurant last November my boyfriend and I had a killer combo of creamy roasted red pepper soup and goat cheese salad. A couple months later, we decided to recreate the red pepper soup. The result was amazing and is a classic for us now.
ROASTED RED PEPPER SOUP
7 red peppers
2 onions, chopped
1 carrot, grated
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tomatoes, chopped
1 liter boullion (chicken or vegetable)
Handful of fresh basil, chopped
150 ml creme fraiche (or heavy cream)
1. Cut the red peppers in half, deseed them and place them on a baking sheet, skin side up. Broil until the skin turns black, about 15 minutes. After they are cool enough to handle, peel the skin off and toss it. Set the peppers aside.
2. Fry the onion and carrot in olive oil over low heat until the carrot is soft (8-10 minutes). Add the garlic and tomatoes and saute for a couple more minutes.
3. Add the boullion, basil and peppers and bring to a boil, then remove from heat.
4. Blend it in the food processor or blender and return to stove over very low heat. Add the creme, mix well and warm the soup without allowing it to boil.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste.